Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2016 15:48:59 +0100
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: John does not fork as many times as I want

On Fri, Nov 04, 2016 at 03:19:32PM +0100, matlink wrote:
> Is that linked to the "1/3"

Adding to my previous reply: "1/3" means "single crack" mode, and this
mode is in fact more memory-hungry as it preserves in memory extra
information for each user (to use that information as candidate
passwords).  Moreover, this memory is not freed even when JtR proceeds
to further modes (such as "1/2", which means wordlist mode).

In your case, I suggest that you skip this mode altogether, since the
hashes are not salted and thus you can achieve the same results without
per-user targeting.  Just use "--wordlist" and "--incremental" and many
other modes explicitly, and you'll likely be able to use more processes
right away (than you would have with the default selection of modes,
which starts with "single crack").  Then to simulate "single crack"
mode, you'll use a wordlist containing the usernames, etc. along with
"--rules=single" or even "--rules=all", and then you'll complete it with
"--loopback" mode.

Alexander