Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2016 16:00:30 +0100
From: matlink <matlink@...link.fr>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: John does not fork as many times as I want

Le 04/11/2016 à 15:56, Solar Designer a écrit :
> On Fri, Nov 04, 2016 at 03:48:42PM +0100, matlink wrote:
>> Le 04/11/2016 ? 15:40, Solar Designer a ?crit :
>>> It's just a matter of
>>> getting the weakest passwords out first, at which point you restart and
>>> can run more processes due to them staying more similar to each other
>>> for longer.  If at some point they become dissimilar enough to run out
>>> of memory again, you can interrupt and restore that session (without
>>> losing any work already done).
>> Understood. I suppose that using "john --restore=mysession" is faster
>> than running again the above command having "--session=mysession", even
>> if that command specifies a potfile ?
> Sure, "--restore" continues from where the session was interrupted, not
> re-testing the previously tested candidate passwords.
>
> Without that option, you have JtR re-test the same candidate passwords.
>
> The pot file eliminates previously cracked hashes in either case.

Well, I was not using the --restore option, but always the --session
with --pot and in fact, when john starts it says "Remaining 25185227
password hashes with no different salts" which is less than when
previously ran. I guess --restore is equal to running john with the same
parameters as before. That was my question.

--
Matlink - Sysadmin matlink.fr
Sortez couverts, chiffrez vos mails : https://café-vie-privée.fr/