Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2016 00:49:44 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: JtR -test error 2016-10-25 in Cygwin x64

On 2016-10-25 22:52, Robert Harris wrote:
> I built John in Cygwin x64 bit and received an error during the built-in
> test.
>
> Someone up for fixing this?

> Options used: -I
> "/cygdrive/u/JtR/JohnTheRipper-bleeding-jumbo-2016-10-16(compiled without
> pcap support)/run/kernels" -cl-mad-enable -DDEVICE_INFO=64 -DSIZEOF_SIZE_T=8
> -DDEV_VER_MAJOR=0 -DDEV_VER_MINOR=13 -D_OPENCL_COMPILER -DHASH_LOOPS=1024
> -DOUTLEN=20 -DPLAINTEXT_LENGTH=64 -DV_WIDTH=4
> $JOHN/kernels/pbkdf1_hmac_sha1_kernel.cl
>
> Build log: Invalid build option: without

So you have parens and spaces in your path, and the fact we use quotes
around it doesn't help (with this OpenCL runtime). I know Atom has
struggled with this issue too, in Hashcat. There doesn't seem to be a
fully portable way to handle this. I believe Atom's current best-effort
solution is to chdir to that directory before building instead of trying
to use the non-portable -I option. I'm not sure I like to do the same.

The quick and easy solution is to avoid problematic characters in paths.

magnum