Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 09:15:03 +0200
From: patpro@...pro.net
To: "john-users@...ts.openwall.com" <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Error: wordlist contains NULL bytes - aborting

Hi,

I'm currently cracking some hashes using both hashcat (GPU, on windows) and john (CPU on FreeBSD). Most work was done with john incremental and wordlist mode but for very wide character range like 0x00-0xFF I'm using hashcat.
After a hashcat session, I'm used to extract plains from hashcat.pot, and serve them as a wordlist to john (with rules), because I want to have the more comprehensive john.pot possible, and because it helps me create custom charset files for incremental sessions.

Recently, I've been able to retrieve plains with hashcat that apparently contain null bytes, and john does not like those. Is that an expected result, or is that an encoding problem of my resulting wordlist?

Extract from hashcat.pot is here:
	https://www.patpro.net/~patpro/hexextract.txt

I'm extracting plains with this command line:
	sed -e 's,.*\[,,' -e 's,\],0d0a,' hexextract.txt | xxd -r -p - hexextract.out

I've tried both the file hexextract.out and an UTF-8 encoded version of the file hexextract.out, both wordlists yield to the same "wordlist contains NULL bytes - aborting" error.

thanks,
patpro