Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 14:16:29 -0500
From: Skip Montanaro <skip.montanaro@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: How long should I let JtR munch?

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 1:54 PM, Marek Wrzosek <marek.wrzosek@...il.com> wrote:

> Did you use the same passwords? What about your *.pot files? Did you
> clear john.pot every time or not? You can make john use different "pot
> file" for every session using --pot option with different file name for
> every session. Also, you can name sessions using --session option with
> session name, that way You can restore named sessions (with --restore
> option with name of the session as its parameter) and not start from
> scratch every time.

Different passwords every time. In fact, I don't know the input
passwords being cracked on the current run, as I gave polly a flag to
spit them out MD5-encoded. I see .../run/john.pot. I was unaware of
its existence. Given the size of my source dictionary and the
modifications my tool makes to the plain old XKCD936 algorithm, I
think it highly unlikely that it would generate the same password on
multiple runs. I don't think for my purposes the session feature will
help much.

Thx,

Skip