Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 13:11:38 -0400
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: How long should I let JtR munch?

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 12:30 PM, Marek Wrzosek <marek.wrzosek@...il.com> wrote:
> Hi Skip,
>
> W dniu 10.08.2016 o 16:18, Skip Montanaro pisze:
>

>> I fed it a few raw MD5 encrypted passwords yesterday. JtR has now been
>> running for about 18 hours (--fork=4) and has yet to crack any of them. My
>> machine is just a quad-core Intel Xeon (3.1ghz). Is there some way to
>> compare it with some faster machines using their graphics cards? Is it
>> possible to say something like, "if it doesn't complete in 24 hours on my
>> machine, it would be the equivalent if not completing in N hours (N < 24)
>> on a more studly machine?" Finally, on a related note, is there some way to
>> tell which mode it's in? It's just running like this:
>>

> You can run
>
> ./john --test
>
> and compare your results with other people results. You can search for
> 'john the ripper benchmarks' or compare with these
> <http://openwall.info/wiki/john/benchmarks>.
>
>> ./john --format=Raw-MD5 --fork=4  ~/tmp/sample.txt
>>
>> I believe it will automatically work its way through the various modes
>> <http://www.openwall.com/john/doc/EXAMPLES.shtml> it has. How do I know
>> what mode it's in at any given time? Here's recent status output:

As indicated, it does go through 3 modes, Single, Wordlist (defaults
to password.lst) and Incremental.
Incremental won't get out to a "great length" of characters for a very
long time, but it will spit out some long ones here and there.
Prince mode seems better suited to take on your tool however.
Incremental takes time to exhaust different lengths and sets of
characters, so if your script is making passes over 10-12 characters,
it may take a long time for john to get there starting at 1 first. If
you use -min-length=10 or something closer to the lenghts your looking
at, you might see results sooner. You'd get some passwords of that
length at times, but john incremental really hovers around one length
at a time, but does jump around some.
-rich