Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2016 10:39:44 -0500
From: jfoug <jfoug@...nwall.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: JtR homepage update; Windows builds

On Sun, 8/7/16 9:54 AM, Solar Designer wrote:
> OK, so you feel strongly against line endings conversion for scripts.
> What about the documentation files?  The config files?
I think the line ending changes should not be done anywhere.

As for extensions, we could easily provide a .bat file (that would need
to be in DOS line ending), which would make copies of the doc files,
renaming them *.txt.   Yes, windows does have too much extension
magic still in it.  But these files either should be provided AS copies,
or a script file the user can run his own script to 'downconvert' to
old DOS stuff.  We even could provide a 2dos.exe file that the .bat
  ile could optionally convert \n into \r\n when making the copy.
> Related: IIRC, Cygwin offers to enable line endings conversion when you
> install it
Possibly years ago.  Not there, nor needed any more.  everything is in
nix line
endings in Cygwin.  Some of the tools work with either line endings
(such as gcc
toolchain), BUT there are many tools, that fail if dos line endings are
there. Things
such as sh, perl, etc do not like line endings.

> and this probably affects files such as john.pot and
> john.log.  Don't we want them to have DOS line endings?  I think that's
> how it has been in the Windows builds of JtR I've been making years ago,
> and is probably still the same in this latest build.
Nope, .pot and .conf should be in \n line endings, and the pot will be
built that way
by john