Date: Sun, 15 May 2016 22:39:28 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: noob question!

Dan, all -

"<anything> question" is never a descriptive message Subject, especially
not on john-users.  Please use more specific Subject on further occasions
(e.g., "how to use --show" or "issue with --show" would have been better).

On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 12:03:41PM -0700, Dan Tentler wrote:
> So, for the life of me, I can't figure out how to get ./john --show to
> show me "user:passsword". It's showing me just the user.
>
> I'm on a gig and I'm trying to import the cracked passwords into
> metasploit - it looks like I'll have to write a little bash or python
> script to tear out the hash and password from john.pot and merge it with
> the input hash list file - I thought I'd ask here first to see if I was
> just using john wrong (which is likely ;b)

Normally, "--show" should in fact show both the usernames and the
cracked passwords.  However, with so many formats supported in jumbo,
including some that involve implicit encoding syntax conversion, things
may sometimes be trickier.

Please try including the "--format" option that you had used for
password cracking also along with "--show".  Does this help?

What format are you using?  What do the input file and john.pot file
lines look like (for those specific hashes - just be sure to obfuscate
the actual hashes and passwords before posting any samples)?

Alexander