Date: Sat, 7 May 2016 21:30:00 -0400
From: Matt Weir <cweir@...edu>
To: "john-users@...ts.openwall.com" <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: Status of session when using -pipe and -stdin

Thanks for the reply! I agree with your assessment, but unfortunately
getting the pid of john automatically into the script is difficult. At that
point, it's easier just to do the ./john -status in a different window. I
was hoping there might be some sort of control character I could send via
stdin that would prompt john to display a status. For example if
'THIS_IS_A_JTR_STATUS_REQUEST' encoded in UTF-8, (or some truely
weird/custom UTF-16 character combo), is sent then display a status output.
Since that's unlikely to represent a real password it hopefully wouldn't
negatively impact real cracking sessions.

That being said, I think the use case of such a feature is pretty small and
it does have the potential to impact real cracking sessions, (at least from
a speed perspective if nothing else), so if it doesn't already exist I'd
probably argue against adding it. It was just something that's been bugging
me for a bit so I figured I'd ask. A simple workaround on my part would be
to pass the john cracking session name in to the script as an argument and
then have it call ./john -status directly.

Thanks again,
Matt