Date: Sat, 7 May 2016 12:12:47 -0400
From: Matt Weir <cweir@...edu>
To: "john-users@...ts.openwall.com" <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Status of session when using -pipe and -stdin

I frequently run other scipts and feed the input into John using the -pipe
or -stdin options. If I want to get the status of the cracking session
normally I just run in another terminal

./john -status -session=blah

What I was wondering was if there was a way to have the script i'm running
send JtR a special value to have the running session of JtR print out a
status output.

Aka if I'm running

./myscript.sh | ./john -stdin -format=raw-md5 password_list.txt

and I hit <enter>, the output would be

<Output from myscript.sh>
<Status output from JtR>

That way anyone else using myscript.sh could get status output from both
programs without having to open up another terminal.

Matt