Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 00:35:46 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Rules 'C' command, wtf???

Jim,

On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 12:24:58PM -0500, jfoug wrote:
> c    capitalize
> C    lowercase the first character, and uppercase the rest
>
> I do understand the why of the McXyz handling within C but it is not
> documented that way, and there are other cases which would also fall
> into this situation.  I really think this is the wrong place to put this

I agree.  This is something I did in very early versions of JtR, and it
just stayed in there.  Some years back, I finally regretted doing it.
Maybe we should drop this undocumented special handling now, given that
it's a minor detail and is probably not replicated by other tools
implementing similar rule commands.  If you drop this from jumbo now, I
will also drop it from core.

Alexander