Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2016 21:16:37 -0500
From: jfoug <jfoug@...nwall.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: External Policy Filter

On 3/27/2016 7:03 PM, Rich Rumble wrote:
> Last correction from me, looks like ?s isn't mask's, it's john.conf
> ->rules instead, that means it's
> ?s    matches symbols "$%^&*()-_+=|\<>[]{}#@/~"
> And we'd still need ?p    matches punctuation: ".,:;'?!`" and the
> double quote character (and ?w too)
>
> So I can do /?s/?p or define a new UserClass, I just did a userclass
> since I've never made one before.
> [UserClasses]
> 0 = [a-zA-Z0-9/.]
> 1 = [0-9a-fA-F]
> 2 = \x09
> 3 = [$%^&*()-_+=|\<>[]{}#@/~.,:;'?!`] #new userclass :)
The / is actually the 'rule' that does: 'reject the word unless it
contains at least 1 of some character.'   The ?l ?u ?d are 'class'
items. So /?d says to reject the word unless it contains a character
from the ?d class (i.e. reject the word unless it contains a digit).
The >7 says to reject the word unless it is 8 chars or more.

So what that simple rule set it is a set of rejection rules, that will
reject words which do not have X number or more of each of those types
of words (or are too short).  Somewhat simple stuff.  I actually like
using rules like this (if there are just a few) more than external
filter code.  Either can get the job done. The external can be slower
AND can be used in place and it can also do all the work in 1 pass,
while the rules quite a bit easier to write, but will take several
passes through the word list, AND will generate duplicates (due to the
multi pass), so will need to be processed off line, and then replayed.
So an external policy filter using external coding still would not be a
bad thing to have, for wordlist reduction like this.

I am glad you spotted the other 'special' characters that I missed, and
made a custom class for them. That was obviously the right way to go,
since each of them would be considered a 'special' character candidate,
and satisfy one of the required types.

Jim.