Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2016 18:45:27 +0100
From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@...tomas.sk>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: devices for --dev= option

On 05.03.16 17:57, Marek Wrzosek wrote:
>I think it should be:
>
>john --list=opencl-devices
>
>to list OpenCL-capable devices.

yes, but I somehow couldn't get --dev to complain without that one...

>And --device option is to choose one or more devices, if you have more
>than one OpenCL-capable device, for actual cracking process. This option
>allow only numerical values or keywords "all", "cpu", "gpu",
>"accelerator" (or "acc" for short).

yes, my question was if --dev only applies to opencl devices...

> To use OpenCL you need to choose
>format with OpenCL support.

autoswitching formats to nvidia or opencl versions would be great...

> But I could be wrong, because I don't have
>any OpenCL-capable device.

I have nvidia capable of opencl and cuda... however openl seems to be
faster.  The CPU should be opencl-capable too, and as long as the card has
about 225% performance of the CPU, using them all would be the best
combination.

--
Matus UHLAR - fantomas, uhlar@...tomas.sk ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
Windows 2000: 640 MB ought to be enough for anybody