Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 21:24:56 +0100
From: Marek Wrzosek <marek.wrzosek@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Cracking zip files

W dniu 29.02.2016 o 21:07, Alex pisze:
> I'm thinking the chances are the password that was set was larger than
> 8 characters. How can I configure John to only choose guesses that are
> greater than 8 characters?
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

This is from doc/OPTIONS file:

--min-length=N                  request a minimum candidate length in bytes
--max-length=N                  request a maximum candidate length in bytes

These options limit the length of candidates that will be tried. In
wordlist mode (after applying rules, if any), a word that is not within
the requested limits will be rejected (not truncated). Most other modes
also honour these settings. For example, you can fully exhaust a short
keyspace with incremental mode with eg. --max-len=4 and then start a
longer session for the rest with --min-length=5, or use one core for
lengths up to 8 and other cores for exact lengths of 9, 10 and so on.
Note: With UTF-8 encoding, non-ASCII characters will use more than one byte.

--
Marek Wrzosek
marek.wrzosek@...il.com