Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2016 01:34:26 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Cracking zip files

On Sat, Feb 20, 2016 at 05:20:11PM -0500, Alex wrote:
> When I run john, I only get this now:
>
> $ ./john --incremental zipfile.john
> Using default input encoding: UTF-8
> No password hashes loaded (see FAQ)
>
> I realize this is a FAQ, but none of the answers in this FAQ question
> have helped me figure this out. The previous version I was using was
> working okay.

As Jim wrote, you need to rerun zip2john for this new version of John.

> I've deleted the old attempts from the previous version and recreated
> the hash file. This is the contents of the zipfile.john:
>
> zipfile.zip:$zip$*0*3*de3c868ba87dcff820dd1f8123b6b02f*f96a:::::zipfile.zip

It looks like you used an old copy of zip2john for this.  You need to
use zip2john from your new build, perhaps invoking it as ./zip2john when
you're in the run directory.

The new zip2john's output will include the "$zip2$" tag, not the old
"$zip$" tag you have above.

Alexander