Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2016 14:08:52 -0500
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Cracking luks volume

On Sun, Jan 31, 2016 at 11:34 AM, Daniel Sorry <santaftw123@...il.com> wrote:

> Here's an example structure of how the password looks and various
> combinations it needs to try.
>
> I take an 8-9 char password like: F6TgW8D8 or F6TgW8D8!
> I thought i did it like: F6TgW8D8F6TgW8D8F6TgW8D8!
> Or perhaps F6TgW8D8!F6TgW8D8#F6TgW8D8!#
> Or F6TgW8D8F6TgW8D8F6TgW8D8#!
> Or f6TgW8D8!f6TgW8D8f6TgW8D8#!
If all you did was repeat a 8-9 character pass, that shouldn't be too
hard if you can guess or know most of that 8-9 characters.
Using a custom charset I don't think will help you here, unless you
have thousands of combinations to try.
A simple rule you can use to repeat the words of your wordlist are:
[List.Rules:duplicate-append-x-point]
d $!

(using "dd$!" will give you 4 copies of the word, I don't know how to
make just 3)
You can also make a word list of the words you think are close, and
try prince mode on those.
./john yourhash.txt -prince=likelywords.txt
Prince mode will try all kinds of things, here is what it did with the
following 3 words:
pass
word
F6TgW8D8

$ ./john.exe -stdout -prince=prince-3words.txt  (you can also use
-rules=single or rules=wordlist on a prince run)
pass
word
F6TgW8D8
passpass
wordpass
password
wordword
passF6TgW8D8
wordF6TgW8D8
F6TgW8D8pass
F6TgW8D8word
passpasspass
wordpasspass
passwordpass
wordwordpass
passpassword
wordpassword
passwordword
wordwordword
F6TgW8D8F6TgW8D8
passpassF6TgW8D8
wordpassF6TgW8D8
passwordF6TgW8D8
wordwordF6TgW8D8
passF6TgW8D8pass
wordF6TgW8D8pass
passF6TgW8D8word
wordF6TgW8D8word
F6TgW8D8passpass
F6TgW8D8wordpass
F6TgW8D8password
F6TgW8D8wordword
passpasspasspass
wordpasspasspass
passwordpasspass
wordwordpasspass
passpasswordpass
wordpasswordpass
passwordwordpass
wordwordwordpass
passpasspassword
wordpasspassword
passwordpassword
wordwordpassword
passpasswordword
wordpasswordword
passwordwordword
wordwordwordword
48p 0:00:00:00 0.00% 1297p/s wordwordwordword