Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 22:46:21 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank.dittrich@...lbox.org>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Markov mode with rules

On 08/21/2015 10:24 PM, Frank Dittrich wrote:
> On 08/21/2015 07:25 PM, Simone Salucci wrote:
>> Hi, it's possible to use the rules with the markov mode?
>> I tried this command "./john --markov --rules "hash_file"
>> --format=dynamic_2 --fork=4" but doesn't apply the rules.
>
> Apparently not, and I don't think it would be useful.
> But if it isn't supported, john shouldn't silently ignore it.
> Instead, stopping with an error message would be appropriate.
>
> You can, however, combine --markov and --mask.
> The mask is applied to every word generated by --markov, then the next
> --markov word is processed.
>
> $ ./john --stdout  --markov --mask='?w20[01]?d'|head -n 30
> Press 'q' or Ctrl-C to abort, almost any other key for status
> MKV start (stats=$JOHN/stats, lvl=200 len=8 pwd=248282530)
> chanerer2000
> chanerer2010
> chanerer2001
> chanerer2011

I created three new github issues:

1.

https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/issues/1697

Either fail with an error message, or properlyimplement this (like with
--prince mode, where apparently all rules of the given rules section are
applied for a word generated by --prince before prince mode moves the
next word.

2.

https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/issues/1699

The same problem for --incremental and --external modes.

3.

https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/issues/1698

I would have expected my sample command to append years in chronological
order, but --mask mode generated the candidates in an unexpected order.