Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2015 03:20:18 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Why does john display some cracked passwords twice?

On 2015-08-02 10:28, Marek Wrzosek wrote:
> W dniu 30.07.2015 o 10:04, Marek Wrzosek pisze:
>> W dniu 29.07.2015 o 20:45, Solar Designer pisze:
>>> You don't need to remove them.  John's output during cracking is just
>>> for you to be aware of its progress, and john.pot is normally for John's
>>> internal use.  The actual cracking results you should obtain with "john
>>> --show passwordfileshere", and this won't show any duplicates even if
>>> there are duplicate lines in your pot file.
>
> What is maximum size of pot file?

If there is a maximum size, it's probably dictated by your OS or FS.
Anyway it should be way more than you'll ever need.

> I think, that depends on how many processes and how often are cracking
> the exact same passwords, so in certain circumferences maybe OpenMP is
> better. Is there somewhere a comparison of OpenMP and fork? What are
> pros and cons of both solutions?

IMHO the biggest difference is this: If you start a run with fork, you
can't stop and then resume with some other number of processes than was
initially used. If you on the other hand stop an OpenMP-capable run
(even one that was initially running in a single thread), you can resume
it using any number of threads. In fact you can even start a job with a
john binary that doesn't have OpenMP support, then stop it and resume it
with a john binary that has.

magnum