Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2015 17:28:55 -0400
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Why does john display some cracked passwords twice?

On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 4:34 PM, Luis Rocha <luiscrocha@...il.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am not sure if it is related but I am seeing the same behavior. Please
> see below:
>
> user@...kstation:~/JohnTheRipper/run$ ./john
> /home/data/hashes/2013cmiyc/2013cmiyc_dist/Company1/pro-hashes.8.txt
> --fork=4 --wordlist=/home/data/wordlists/bestwordlist/allwords.txt
> --rules:Single --format=descrypt
> Using default input encoding: UTF-8
> Loaded 1793 password hashes with 1471 different salts (descrypt,
> traditional crypt(3) [DES 256/256 AVX2-16])
> Node numbers 1-4 of 4 (fork)
> Each node loaded 1/4 of wordfile to memory (about 661 KB/node)
> Press 'q' or Ctrl-C to abort, almost any other key for status
> acetabul         (?)
> acetabul         (?)
> acetabul         (?)
When fork was first introduced as very alpha just before a certain
CMIYC, the same issue occurred I thought. Then it was fixed, in
addition to the duplicates there was an issue with not every fork
writing to the pot, but they would display stdout. I believe there was
a john.conf setting to log them until it was fixed... I don't recall
and I don't have those threads from contest. I wish I could find those
conversations... I'm going to try to reproduce with my binaries btw.
-rich