Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 15:13:56 -0600
From: Matthew Smith <turbogiant76@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: unable to extract hash from 7z archive

I would really like to give john a try at cracking this file.  I password
protected it a couple of years ago and would really like access.

I don't think I encrypted file names, so when I run the "7z2john.py"
script, I get this message:

file.7z : 7-Zip files without header encryption are *not* supported yet!

>From googling, I see threads where an author mentions adding it in the
future, but on github the file hasn't been updated in over two years.  I've
tried searching for a later version but I can't find it.

I've used "7z2hashcat.pl" to get the hash, but when trying that hash file
in john it doesn't seem to want to load.  Maybe I am doing something wrong
in the commands?

C:\johnomp\run>john --format=7z outfile.hashes
No password hashes loaded (see FAQ)

Is there any alternative way to get the hash into a format that I can use
with john?  I have very little knowledge of what the password is so I am
trying to do multiple avenues of cracking to maximize processing power and
get it sooner.  Thi would be a good help.  If now, can someone recommend a
good cpu based software for ubuntu 12.04 I can run?

Thank you.