Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 14:42:12 -0400
From: Mathieu Laprise <mathlaprise@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Johnny v2.0 released!

Hello john-users,

Johnny, the cross-platform GUI frontend for John The Ripper, got a reboot
after more than 3 years of inactivity. It has been refactored from the
ground up for better cross platform compatibility, multithreaded operation,
upgraded looks, improved usability and extended JtR functionality coverage.

New features include fork and OpenMP support for faster cracking. Manual
password guessing via the Guess button. Also, for each hash, you'll see his
format in the tableview. With session history and proper session
preferences storage, you'll be able to reload any unfinished cracking
session to resume your attack. Also, we added ability to set environment
variables for each session directly in Johnny and french translation.

We urge you to give it a spin and let us know what you think of it, what
you like what you don't like, what works and what doesn't. We will pay
close attention to your feedback and follow up with a new release.

On our wiki, we provide an easy installer and a .dmg which has been tested
on Windows 7 and up and OS X Mavericks and up. They may or may not work on
older versions. For older version of the previous operating systems as well
as flavors of Linux/BSD, source build is the best option. You have
instructions in the Wiki and the INSTALL distfile
http://openwall.info/wiki/john/johnny

Johnny requires JtR to work. If you want to get access to all new features
and bugfixes, we recommend compiling the latest 1.8.0.6-jumbo-1 release
available at
https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/releases/tag/1.8.0.6-jumbo-1.
If you are a Windows user, you should compile John with Cygwin. On older
version of john core and jumbo, you won't get proper John termination on
Windows and the "show hash formats" feature.

Last but not least, we added translation support to Johnny so if anyone
would like to translate Johnny to its own language, it can be done easily
without coding knowledge. At the moment, we only have french and english,
contact me if you want to get involved in translation.

Have a great day everyone!