Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2015 19:20:08 +0200
From: Marek Wrzosek <marek.wrzosek@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: RES: Break a virtual drive

Hi Alexandre,

I also don't know if I've understood completely Jon's response, but I
think it was about some BIOS locked HDD. Samsung SecretZone seems
similar to truecrypt but truecrypt was well documented and SecretZone is
Samsung's own solution. To crack password you would need the hash and
algorithm that was used to create it. Here is a problem - only Samsung
knows where this hash is stored/how to extract it and I don't know if
they will be willing to disclose this information to the public. Of
course you can try to contact Samsung's tech support for this
information. The speed of cracking would depend on what algorithm was
used to create the hash, if it was HMAC with thousands of iterations
(like in case of truecrypt), then cracking will be extremely time
consuming, other way they won't even tell you how to extract that hash.
It seems that the only way to recover passwords for disc encryption is
trying to recall what the password was/how did you created it. :(

Best Regards

--
Marek Wrzosek
marek.wrzosek@...il.com