Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 11:24:19 -0400
From: Alain Espinosa <alainesp@...ta.cu>
To: John-user <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: OpenCL noob hardware question

-------- Original message --------
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
Date:06/19/2015 6:12 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [john-users] OpenCL noob hardware question

...For some odd reason Intel never provided any OpenCL drivers for Windows
or Linux AFAIK, but Apple provides them.

Intel provides OpenCL drivers include in they video drivers on Windows. For CPU they are better than the AMD, in some case faster than hand-crafted assembly giving that you can compile optimized versions (with more information).

...The Iris is not completely worthless but for most hashes you'll be
better off running AVX2 CPU formats. Our latest release (Jumbo-1) does
not utilize AVX2 but latest GitHub code does, for a 2x boost over AVX.

In my tests HD 4600 is only ~1.6x slower than core i5-4670, so performance is relevant enough. Iris will provide better performance.

Regards,
Alain