Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 12:12:15 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: OpenCL noob hardware question

On 2015-06-19 07:27, Jerry Kemp wrote:
> I have recently acquired an Apple mini and was surprised to see that it
> has an OpenCL compatible GPU.
>
> I realize that there is one device, and non-expandable as it sits, but I
> am curious as to what the meaning of the
>
> 40 Parallel compute cores.
>
> This box is running OS X 10.10 and I am running John 1.8.0 Jumbo.
> OpenCL output below.

>      Device #1 (1) name:    Iris
>      Device vendor:        Intel
>      Device type:        GPU (LE)
>      Device version:        OpenCL 1.2
>      Driver version:        1.2(Sep 25 2014 22:25:51)
>      Native vector widths:    char 1, short 1, int 1, long 1
>      Preferred vector width:    char 1, short 1, int 1, long 1
>      Global Memory:        1.0 GB
>      Local Memory:        64.0 KB (Local)
>      Max memory alloc. size:    384.3 MB
>      Max clock (MHz):    1200
>      Profiling timer res.:    80 ns
>      Max Work Group Size:    512
>      Parallel compute cores:    40

This is part of your Core i7 (Haswell) CPU. I think it's an Iris 5100.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_HD_and_Iris_Graphics

For some odd reason Intel never provided any OpenCL drivers for Windows
or Linux AFAIK, but Apple provides them.

The Iris is not completely worthless but for most hashes you'll be
better off running AVX2 CPU formats. Our latest release (Jumbo-1) does
not utilize AVX2 but latest GitHub code does, for a 2x boost over AVX.

magnum