Date: Sun, 10 May 2015 19:24:21 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Advise on best approach (truecrypt pw based on pdf
 file)

On 2015-05-10 19:03, Demian Smith wrote:
>   ★ On 15/05/09 11:37 p.m. Magnum wrote ★
>> Here's a quick'n'dirty one:
>>
>> [List.Rules:truncate]
>> >[5-9A-C]'\0
>>
>> Put the above in john.conf and use it with "--rules=truncate". For an
>> input word of Tbontbtistqaiaqwsbabtcofm it will output these 8 variations:
>>
>> Tbont
>> Tbontb
>> Tbontbt
>> Tbontbti
>> Tbontbtis
>> Tbontbtist
>> Tbontbtistq
>> Tbontbtistqa
>
> I have taken your advise and am running it with A-Z and have as well
> intentions to look into the "rules" doc to see what 5-9 in this
> instance means.

There's nothing special about 5-9, 5 means 5 and 9 means 9. The special
is rather that that A means 10 and so on.

Here's a simple rule that truncates to length 5:

'5

Here's one that's enhanced to skip words that weren't at least length 5
in the first place:

 >5'5

The >5 means that the rule only applies to words longer than 5
characters, and the '5 is the actual truncation.

The bracket thing is pre-processor stuff. [5-9A-C] will expand to one
rule with that whole bracket string replaced with "5", another line
using "6", and so on. And the \0 means "repeat the last bracket
expansion". So our pre-processor rule of

 >[5-9A-C]'\0

will look like this after pre-processing:

 >5'5
 >6'6
 >7'7
 >8'8
 >9'9
 >A'A
 >B'B
 >C'C

So if you look in the log file, it should say that your one-line "rule"
is actually 8 rules after pre-processing. Or in case of 5-9A-Z, 31 rules
(covering lengths 5 through 36, save for fence-post errors).

magnum