Date: Fri, 08 May 2015 23:13:53 +0200
From: Marek Wrzosek <marek.wrzosek@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: bleeding-jumbo - How case and alpha options of regex mode suppose
 to work?

Hi

How case and alpha options suppose to work?
In standalone regex mode command line:
./john --regex=case="pass" --stdout
will print:
case=pass
To achieve what I wanted, I had to run something like this:
./john --regex="(?i:pass)" --stdout
and output is:
pass
Pass
PAss
pAss
pASs
PASs
PaSs
paSs
paSS
PaSS
PASS
pASS
pAsS
PAsS
PasS
pasS

As expected. But with wordlist or stdin mode these options work
differently, e.g.:
$ echo "pass"|./john --stdin --regex=case=alpha:case="\0" --stdout
buf=[pP][aA][sS][sS]
pass
Pass
pAss
PAss
paSs
PaSs
pASs
PASs
pasS
PasS
pAsS
PAsS
paSS
PaSS
pASS
PASS
16p 0:00:00:00 0.00% 88.88p/s PASS

but without =case option:
$ echo "pass"|./john --stdin --regex=alpha:case="\0" --stdout
buf=pass
pass
1p 0:00:00:00 0.00% 4.166p/s pass

the same is with:
$ echo "pass"|./john --stdin --regex=case="\0" --stdout
pass
1p 0:00:00:00 0.00% 4.545p/s pass

=alpha option for leet, leet2 and leet3 parameters is working as
expected, but need =case option to work with leet2_case and leet3_case
alphabets. With leet+c =alpha option does not need =case option. And of
course there is no leet_case alphabet in regex_alphabets.conf file.

Maybe someone should revise README.librexgen file.
Undocumented - it's a bug, documented it'll be feature ;-)

Bests

--
Marek Wrzosek
marek.wrzosek@...il.com