Date: Wed, 06 May 2015 10:10:23 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Question on showing number of guesses tried

On 2015-05-06 06:33, Yulong wrote:
> thanks for the detailed explanation! I was able to obtain the batch info
> and also the logs you mentioned in later email. I used still the 1.8.0
> jumbo1, not build from bleed.
>
> 0:00:00:09 + Cracked ? as candidate #45219840
> 0:00:00:23 + Cracked ? as candidate #96829440
> 0:00:00:24 + Cracked ? as candidate #103858176
>
> Mine is very close to yours, although it didn't print out the actual
> cracked password.

Have a look at LogCrackedPasswords in john.conf. In fact, have a look at
all available john.conf comments as well as most documentation files. If
you're doing research, you should get to know your tools. Some Jumbo
options are specifically added for doing research.

> One thing I am still not clear is, so now the number is #
> of candidates tried, is it equivalent to # of guesses, or # of word from
> the wordlist? The two things might be different because one word from
> wordlist could produce many guesses based on different rules.

It's the candidate tried. If you use wordlist without rules, it's the
same as "# of word from the wordlist" except your version will show #0
for any/all candidates in the first batch.

magnum