Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 00:58:08 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Cracking GPG symmetric encrypted file

This would be hard to write a generic format for, because as far as I
know we wouldn't have *any* known plaintext. AFAIK we wouldn't have a
single bit of it. So we could make educated guesses like "if all of the
decrypted text is printable, we're done" or some other random strategy
but it would definitely not be generic: For example, what if the
decrypted text is a gzipped file? Nothing of that will be printable.

If you *know* the decrypted stuff will be a PDF, or you *know* it will
be a jpeg, or you *know* whatever other format it should be, then you
know what to look for. If not, I guess the choice is either "LOTS of
false positives" or "very high risk of false negative". Both
alternatives kill all joy of cracking.

magnum