Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 08:54:02 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: Christian <pk2mgm_b@...mail.com>
Cc: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: --show

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 05:35:22AM +0000, Christian wrote:
> I allready compile the JtR john-1.7.9-jumbo-7 in mac.

This version is out of date.  You should compile 1.8.0-jumbo-1.

> I'm trying to decrypt an old .dmg
> when i run dmg2john.py i obtain a .txt.
> After that i run "./john --show dmg2john.txt"
> and the result is " 1 password hash cracked, 0 left"
>
> Does it mean the password was found? how can i see it?

This is puzzling.  1.7.9-jumbo-7 does not support .dmg file cracking,
yet the --show output you obtained would normally suggest a cracked
password (and the password itself would appear above that line you
quoted).  Anyway, regardless of what exactly went wrong there, you should
be using 1.8.0-jumbo-1 instead, preferably on a machine with some
high-end GPUs since .dmg cracking is slow and resource intensive.

Alexander