Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2015 21:03:26 -0800
From: Shawn Tayler <shawn@...services.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Problems with keepass2john

Hello,

I have been trying get the password for a keepassx file.  It's my file
and I have forgotten the password (my fault for going on vacation
shortly after changing it).

I tried using version 1.8.0-jumbo-1 and the hashes produced won't even
load with john.  Tried 1.7.9-jumbo-7 and it at least produced loadable
hash files.  I've been trying the several iterations of what I believe
the password must be to no avail.  As a test I created several test kdb
files with simple passwords, e.g. test, testtest, testtesttest, etc.
the intersting thing is that the hash files created from these test
files are all about 1.7K in size, but the one from my kdb file is only
about 300 bytes and my range of passwords, used crunch to create a few
terabytes of possibilities, are a no go.

Has anyone had similar issues with keepass2john or have some suggestions
as to where I can continue?

Any suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks!

Shawn