Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2015 03:15:27 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: How to force John to count duplicate guesses?

On 2015-01-07 21:51, Rafael Veras wrote:
> By the end of the experiment a get the following status line:
>
> 1956366g *7942070363p* 0:00:21:18 1530g/s 6214Kp/s 6214Kc/s 25268GC/s
> lyngemita..LynGemItA
>
> In bold is the number of password candidates tried. I expected to see
> 8000000000 there.
>
> After some toy experiments, I realized John might not be counting
> candidates that were already tried.
>
> From the status lines, I generate a graph with the performance of guessing
> methods. Not counting duplicates artificially boosts the performance of
> this particular guessing method, in terms of hits/guesses.
>
> So is it possible to easily alter this behavior, either in john.conf or in
> the source code?!

Even without the --dupe-suppression option, *consecutive* dupes are
suppressed and there is no option to turn that off. You can probably
hack that away fairly easy - can you build John yourself? The exaxt fix
depends on your exact command line (-pipe, -stdin or pure -wordlist, and
whether you use rules or not).

magnum