Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 00:27:56 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: bleeding-jumbo: john fails to show status on key
 press

On 2014-12-17 17:19, Royce Williams wrote:
> john often fails to show status on key press for me.
>
> This happens on on multiple systems and platforms.  When I exit with
> control-C, the full status I'm expecting appears.  When I run "john
> --status" from another prompt, I get the vanilla (non-GPU-aware)
> output.  But nothing I do gets the full status output.

> It happens whether I'm SSH'd in, an xterm window, or on physical console.
>
> I've mentioned this before on the list, but I haven't heard if it is
> happening for anyone else. It has been a problem on so many systems
> over the past couple of years, I'm pretty sure it's not me.  Pretty
> sure, anyway. :-)

Do you get an immediate status line + abort when you press ctrl-c once?

Doesn't happen here. Well, it *does* happen (and even delays ctrl-c) if
you have lots of salts loaded (especially with GPU formats), or when
using a wordlist and a huge number of words are rejected by rules.

you could also try sending it a SIGUSR1 from another shell. Does that
work, but not pressing a key? If so, we need to investigate.

magnum