Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 20:39:22 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: PRINCE approach from hashcat

On 2014-12-10 16:10, Matt Weir wrote:
> At0m had been talking about it replacing things like the progression JtR
> does with Single  => Wordlist => Incremental. That's because depending on
> the wordlist it will eventually do several mangling techniques, (like
> append digits), brute force, (up to eight characters long), etc. The more
> I've been playing with it though the less useful I've found it. Aka I
> suspect in most cases you are better off using a scripted progression
> attacks like JtR vs relying on PRINCE. That's actually why I'm running the
> tests right now so I can verify that assertion. I'm hopeful I should have a
> full writeup on it done by this weekend if not sooner.

If Atom includes this on GPU in a future version of ocl#cat it will run
in circles around any 'manual' work you can come up with, to the point
that it could compensate for a good deal of sofistication. That's why I
like this idea (I haven't tested it at all). Together with a cleverly
crafted wordlist it should do a fair job with very little user effort.

There's no way it can ever replace Single mode though. That's a whole
different beast!

magnum