Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2014 13:51:07 -0600
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: Recovering password given the unpacked data available

search for pkcrack   It is a plaintext attack against pkzip encryption.  If this is the WinZip AES encryption, then I doubt having the plaintext will help you out at all.  pkcrack is simply an implementation of this known plaintext attack.  The attack only needs 13 bytes of original plaintext, which is the exact compressed data, but unencrypted.  The more data the better and faster the crack.  I have broken many zip files a decade or so ago using this technique.   There likely are other tools that are much more up to date than this (Elcomsoft ?)