Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 03:26:01 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: How to crack passwords with Unicode Charset

On 2014-11-15 02:30, Danux wrote:
> If I want to add russian, chinese, so on wordlists to my cracking effort,
> how do I enable john to read non-ascii characters on Linux?

Use latest bleeding-jumbo from GitHub, and read doc/ENCODING.
In my opinion you should un-comment all encoding settings in john.conf:

	DefaultEncoding = UTF-8
	DefaultMSCodepage = CP850
	DefaultInternalEncoding = CP1252
	WarnEncoding = Y
	AlwaysReportUTF8 = Y
	UnicodeStoreUTF8 = Y
	CPstoreUTF8 = Y

For cracking non-ASCII LM hashes other than CP850, use --target-encoding
option or change the DefaultMSCodepage.

For using rules with non-ASCII characters other than CP1252, use
--internal-encoding or change the DefaultInternalEncoding.

...from that point, always use UTF-8 wordlists (and input files, for
usernames, GECOS and stuff) only.

magnum