Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 16:36:21 +0300
From: Aleksey Cherepanov <lyosha@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: phpass and $dynamic_17$

On Tue, Nov 04, 2014 at 04:43:00PM +0300, Aleksey Cherepanov wrote:
> When I don't specify --format= , john loads $P$ as phpass and
> $dynamic_17$ as dynamic_17 but for dynamic_17, it shows that it is
> possible to load the hashes as phpass while it does not show similar
> option for phpass.
>
> With --format=phpass, both $P$ and $dynamic_17$ files are loaded the
> same way.
>
> With --format=dynamic_17, only $dynamic_17$ is loaded, $P$ could not
> be loaded this way. It explains why john does not propose options for
> $P$.

There is a minor inconvenience with it: when file has both $P$ and
$dynamic_17$, order of the hashes affects john's automatic decision
about format of hashes.

When $dynamic_17$ is before $P$ (2 $dynamic_17$ then $H$ and $P$):

Warning: detected hash type "dynamic_17", but the string is also recognized as "phpass"
Use the "--format=phpass" option to force loading these as that type instead
Warning: only loading hashes of type "dynamic_17", but also saw type "phpass"
Use the "--format=phpass" option to force loading hashes of that type instead
Loaded 2 password hashes with 2 different salts (dynamic_17 [phpass ($P$ or $H$) 32/64 1x2  (MD5_body)])

In this case, --format=phpass is needed to load all hashes.

When $P$ goes first ($H$, $P$, 2 $dynamic_17$):

Loaded 4 password hashes with 2 different salts (phpass [phpass ($P$ or $H$) 32/64 1x2  (MD5_body)])

Also I'd expect for this case
Warning: detected hash type "phpass", but the string is also recognized as "dynamic_17"

I guess it would be much slower to check everything. So a separate
option may be used. There may be a whole mode when john does not
perform cracking at all but shows detailed information about hashes
with possibilities for each hash separately.

Thanks!

--
Regards,
Aleksey Cherepanov