Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2014 20:38:37 -0800
From: Royce Williams <royce@...ho.org>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: thanks for GPU temp and fan speed in status line

On Sat, Oct 11, 2014 at 7:38 PM, magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com> wrote:
> On 2014-10-12 04:17, Royce Williams wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Oct 11, 2014 at 6:02 PM, magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I just tried this:
>>>
>>> $ ./john -form:phpass --list=format-tests | cut -f3 > phpass.in
>>> $ ./john -form:phpass-cuda phpass.in -progress-every=1
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> That really teaches me to fish!  Looks good here.
>> (...)
>> Forcing the specific device ID gives the expected results as well (0
>> is the cool card, 1 is the hot card)
>
> Perfect, then we should be all set. I think we have made, and fixed, every
> single possible mistake now %-)

Cool!

[At this point in the film, after an ominous chord is struck in the
background music, we cut to a scene where my GPU is on fire] ;-)

> Have you started experimenting with Maxwell-optimized descrypt yet?

Unless there's a Maxwell-optimized branch already out there for me to
try, such experimentation would have to be heavily assisted.  I can
follow along with C if I have Google, but i don't do it often enough
to be in any way fluent.  I aspire to more, but I'm pretty
wallclock-bound right now for the kind of regular focus time needed to
ramp up.

Royce