Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 00:58:29 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: attacking RC2 40-bit S/MIME encrypted emails

On 2014-09-17 00:00, magnum wrote:

>>> It doesn't, and I doubt anyone was planning to write it. Is RC2/40
>>> still used at all anywhere?
>>
>> 'openssl smime -encrypt' uses RC2/40 by default according to
>> documentation.
>>
>> fedora 20 (openssl-1.0.1e-39)/ubuntu 14.04/rhel 6.4:
>>     man smime: "If not specified 40 bit RC2 is used."
>>
>> so an implementation would probably still be useful these days.
>
> Cool. Someone should do this.

It now hits me this is out of scope for JtR itself. What JtR does is
always based on trying human-like passwords. But this "format" would be
a key brute-forcer with no input. For the same reason, we haven't
implemented an RC4/40 brute-forcer for old Office documents.

However, even if Solar doesn't want these "in" Jumbo, I'm willing to
include them either "with" Jumbo (as stand-alone programs in the Jumbo
source tree), or simply as a separate repo if Solar persists. As Atom
recently wrote on Hashcat forum, you can sometimes marry RC4-BF with
actual password search:
http://hashcat.net/forum/thread-3665.html

magnum