Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2014 07:20:56 -0500
From: Xt Xt <xt@...eslum.org>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Desiring a List.External customized to my needs

Long time JtR user (since late 90s?), but just recently started looking at
the External function. However I'm having difficulty understanding the way
the External functions (generate, init, restore) work. There are a few
included but I just cannot get the hang of it.

I am wanting to generate passwords that follow a particular pattern. This
pattern would follow these rules:

1) The first character is an upper-case letter or number.
2) The following characters, until maxlength - 2 to maxlength, will be
lowercase letters
3) Characters in position of maxlength-3 to maxlength will be numbers or
'special' characters like !, $, @, #, *, etc; the generator will try first
with rules #1 and #2 and maxlength being the special characters or number,
then it will try with maxlength-1 to maxlength (the last 2 characters)
being special or number, to maxlength-2 to maxlength.

Is this difficult to write? I do program in C. Some guidance or an example
of something like this would help me greatly.

Thank you!