Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 10:57:57 +0200 (CEST)
From: Dhiru Kholia <dhiru.kholia@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Cracking HSRP MD5 authentication "hashes"

Hi!

Jim is already on it (http://tinyurl.com/HSRP-discussion).

> As you have noticed, I almost always suggest this when you add a new
> format that uses only MD5 or SHA-1.  Perhaps this is the approach you
> should always start with, and only fall back to writing C code when the
> dynamic approach fails?

Yes, this would be ideal. I wish I had more time (and courage) to
understand the dynamic primitives.

> Also, hsrp2john.py is missing a public domain statement and/or a license.
> Actually, the same applies to some other *.py files you contributed.
> Can you please apply the license terms from lotus2john.py for the rest
> of the Python scripts where you're the sole author as well?

This should be fixed now. Thanks!

> > Sample .pcap files are available on the https://github.com/kholia/my-pcaps
> > page. This repository also documents the reversing process for fun.
>
> Nice.  Can you please also add these samples to:
>
> http://openwall.info/wiki/john/sample-non-hashes

Done now.

http://openwall.info/wiki/john/sample-non-hashes#HSRP-MD5-auth-packets

> Twitter:
> http://bb.secdev.org/scapy/pull-request/27/add-support-for-md5-authentication-in-hsrp/diff

Thanks for finding all these links! I have been trying to crack HSRP MD5
scheme for a while now ;)

Dhiru