Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 20:34:13 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: glitch with processing trailing spaces in input file (from contest
 ml)

On 2014-08-10 02:23, magnum wrote:
> On 2014-08-09 11:08, Alexander Cherepanov wrote:
>> Consider a salted md5 hash "05de5c963ee6234dc7d52f7589a1922b" with the
>> salt "  " (two spaces) and password "welcome" (taken from
>> osc_fmt_plug.c).
>>
>> When there is a login in input file non-encoded spaces at the end of the
>> line are processed Ok
>
>> When login is absent the spaces are trimmed?
>

> I created https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/issues/710 for
> this, assigned to Jim.

Jim found out this is caused by core code and totally intended behavior
(though probably not with a case like this in mind). Solar's commit
message is actually "When loading hashes on a line on their own (no
colons), ignore leading and trailing whitespace (if any)":

https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/commit/989316c

We'll see how to "solve" it. Possibly it's just a documentation issue (I
believe using $HEX$ encoding would be a surefire workaround).

magnum