Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 08:39:29 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: Possible bug in zip_fmt_plug.c, bleeding edge

There is a new updated zip-aes format.  Currently, it is only implemented on
the CPU side.   I had to make changes to the format string, so the legacy
$zip$ format has been retired. It likely (due to seeing the recent bugs), to
have never worked right.  The new format had to add several things needed,
but now, the detection is deterministic.  In other words, no more
FMT_NOT_EXACT logic in this format.   However, you will need to re-run
zip2john against your encrypted .zip files again, to use with this new
format.  The hash needs to read data from the .zip file to work properly.
There should be almost no noticeable slowdown from the prior code, UNLESS
you have a .zip file that has ONLY very large compressed data in it.  The
exact deterministic method requires computing a HMAC-SHA1 over the
compressed/encrypted data blob.  That is a pretty fast operation, BUT if the
data size is large, then it can really slow down times where the 2 byte
checksum says that this value 'might' be a hit.  That happens, btw, 1 out of
64k times, so unless the compressed blob is huge, this slowdown should not
really be apparent.

This version is only in the git repository:
  git clone git://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper -b bleeding-jumbo

Also, this is not a complete re-write, but it was very substantial.  There
may be a bug still here or there, but will be corrected when they are seen.
Also the opencl version will need to handle the new format hash signature
and fields, and perform the proper authentication on 'likely' passwords.
The current opencl version is only showing the likely passwords (i.e. the 1
out of 64k check was successful).

From: Dennis Glatting Thursday, July 03, 2014 1:19