Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 02:47:01 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Question about GPU and CPU.

On 2014-06-28 01:40, Richard Miles wrote:
> Maybe I'm missing something, but people say on the internet it's the only
> way to achieve the real power of these cards, without it the performance is
> really bad.

It is the "only" way, Solar just didn't know about it. Latest Hashcat
can do it on its own, but the previous version needed od6config. We are
not currently planning to add any such things to Jumbo, just keep using
od6config.

> Magnum, do you also use it, correct? If yes, do you use --autofix? Or do
> you use any other config? Can you share?

I would use --autofix. It is the way to go if you want maximum
performance without overclocking. Do not bother overclocking until you
master everything else.

> Also is the fan very loud on your case too?

"My case" is a laptop. I do not own a 290X but yes, it sounds like a
chinese vacuum cleaner if you set it to 100%. You can use a lower fan
setting but it may lead to worse performance (card will throttle clocks
instead, to keep temps down).

> Magnum you found what was the issue, I was using --wordlist PathToWordlist
> without the equal sign and since it have not failed I was thinking it
> worked. Maybe you guys could create a check for it or accept this way to
> provide parameters as well? You mean, just to avoid dumb users like me to
> think that something is broken :)
> What do you think?

We can't. How are we supposed to know whether you mean "default
wordlist, and hashfiles file1 and file2", or "wordlist file1, and
hashfile file2"? It is just ambigous.

> Just for curious, even with wrong syntax, what JtR was reading to see 118
> hashes?

It read /test.txt and hashes.txt as two hash files. It must have found
108 valid hashes in /test.txt. This indicates you have a wordlist of
poor quality but that is another issue.

> What driver version are you using? Or better, what do you
> recommend for better performance?

Go with Hashcat's recommendations (currently 14.4 which is also the
latest release). That way you can use both JtR and Hashcat.

> Funny story. Jeremi == epixopi?

Jeremi Gosney, yes.

magnum