Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 18:40:38 -0500
From: Richard Miles <richard.k.miles@...glemail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Question about GPU and CPU.

Hi Solar Deisgner and Magnum,

First of all, thanks for your help.

>it's unclear from your message what problems you're experiencing when
>trying to use JtR with that GPU.  Does it work?  If not, what happens
>when you do what exactly?  Why did you start playing with the clocks and
>fan speed already (perhaps for your use case you should not)?

No really any issues with JtR with GPU since I first installed the drivers
and was not going to test before check the issue that I was concerned of my
card being incorrectly detected, however you clarified it's normal.

>It says "R9 200 Series", not an exact GPU type.  For a 7970 or a 7990,
>it would similarly say "HD 7900 Series".  No problem here.

Great, thanks.

>Yes.  You get what you ask for.  Why do you want that?

>https://github.com/epixoip/od6config

>"--autofix

>Sets minclock equal to maxclock, and PowerTune, fan speed, and
>target temperature all to their maximum default values."

Maybe I'm missing something, but people say on the internet it's the only
way to achieve the real power of these cards, without it the performance is
really bad.

Magnum, do you also use it, correct? If yes, do you use --autofix? Or do
you use any other config? Can you share?

Also is the fan very loud on your case too?

>I'm pretty sure you actually have 118 md5crypt hashes in there.

I don't have, see:

$ cat hashes.txt |wc -l
10
$ cat hashes.txt
user01:$6$SHA512-HashHere:15896:7::5:::
user02:$6$SHA512-HashHere:16006:1::5:::
user03:$6$SHA512-HashHere:7::5:::
user04:$SHA512-HashHere:15510:1::5:::
user05:$SHA512-HashHere:15987:7::7:::
user06:$6$SHA512-HashHere:15967:7::7:::
user07:$1$MD5-HashHere:::
user08:$6$SHA512-HashHere:15967:7::7:::
user09:$1$MD5-HashHere.:14335:0:99999:7::::
root:$1$MD5-HashHere:0:99999:7:::

I have no idea how JtR found 118 MD5 hashes.

>> B) When I type "enter" the progress bar is not displayed anymore. Is
there
>> a way to reactive it?

>It should be working.  In fact, how did you obtain that status line at
>"5g 0:00:00:00 0.63%" if not by a keypress?

I really don't know, because I pressed "enter" but the lines just jump, but
I don't see the result, so I kept it running and when I come back it was
there, but very lately.

>> D) What are all this passwod entries followed by (?) ?

>This means there are no usernames corresponding to those hashes in your
>test-md5crypt-sha512crypt.hs file.

How can it be possible? As you may see on my hashes.txt file all of them
have a username.

>What is /test.txt? If the above was verbatim, Jumbo will use the default
wordlist, and will regard /test.txt as well as test-md5crypt-sha512crypt.hs
as files with input hashes.

>Maybe you meant --wordlist=/test.txt or --wordlist=test.txt ?

Magnum you found what was the issue, I was using --wordlist PathToWordlist
without the equal sign and since it have not failed I was thinking it
worked. Maybe you guys could create a check for it or accept this way to
provide parameters as well? You mean, just to avoid dumb users like me to
think that something is broken :)
What do you think?

Just for curious, even with wrong syntax, what JtR was reading to see 118
hashes?

>Actually the R9 290X (at least with 14.4 driver) is totally unusable for
cracking out-of-the-box. It will throttle clocks at ridiculously low
temperatures instead of increasing fan >speed a tad. You have to peg
min-clock to same as max-clock and set the "über switch" to on. Guess who
figured that out and got 15 minutes of fame B-)

Interesting. What driver version are you using? Or better, what do you
recommend for better performance?

>He gave up and sold a bunch of them on eBay because they were unusable
(they really are without the mentioned tweaks). Then I got to play with
one, I wrote a predecessor to >od6config and found out how to make the card
do some real work. It's about 35% faster than a 7970, good stuff! After my
findings Jeremi bought loads and loads of 290X's, >LOL.

Funny story. Jeremi == epixopi?

Thanks.