Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 23:53:34 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: team write-up for PHDays Hash Runner 2014

On 2014-05-29 22:33, Solar Designer wrote:
>> In addition to active members listed above: magnum fixed a serious
>> bug, Sayantan implemented lotus5 in OpenCL for GPU during the contest.
>
> Exactly, and I think we should be listing such important contributors
> right near the members list next time.

While I'm happy to get some recognition let's not forget that I was also
the one who, at some point in time, *added* the very bug that I fixed
during the context %-)

To my own defence I did create it during an attempt to /decrease/ the
risk of similar bugs going unnoticed but this does not make me feel much
better about it right now. Ah well, I guess the sum of bugs is a global
constant.

Unfortunately this is not even the whole story - 15c60e2 added injury to
the insult. That bug was potentially so very, VERY bad I will not
explain it here. But I'm pretty sure it did not affect the contest.

Executive summary: Do NOT use the contest tarball (even the last version
of it) for ANYTHING. You have been warned.

:-/

magnum