Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 23:05:55 +0100
From: "-.-PhanTom-.-" <phantom@...uribox.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: john-1.8.0-Win-32 - john.omp.exe - cores used

On 25-03-2014 22:57, jfoug@....net wrote:
> ---- "-.-PhanTom-.-" <phantom@...uribox.net> wrote:
>> I tried reinstalling all of the Cygwin packages listed by JimF in his
>> post, but still no luck.
>>
>> However, you were right about the wrong folder. :)
>> In /run folder I can invoke ./john fine for the 1.8.0.2-bleeding so it
>> looks like it compiled... but I don't understand, why no dll files at
>> all are in the same dir. So I cannot run this in a windows command
>> prompt as I still get the message about the missing crypto dll. Also the
>> normal cygwin.dll is also not present.
>> Maybe I am missing something obvious again......
> This is Cygwin, not MinGW.  In cygwin,  the program files link against cygwin's set of dll's, NOT the default windows DLL's like mingw. However, the reason I built the cygwin64 howto, is I have been unable to properly get MinGW 64 running.
>
> You should be able to run john under the cygwin bash shell (just like when you built it).  Also, you can add c:\cygwin64\bin into your windows path, and all (most??) of the DLL's will be properly found, and exe's you have built (or core cygwin exes) should run from a windows native command prompt.
>
> The cygwin setup does not patch your windows path for you.  But I believe there are instructions on doing that, in the readme's from cygwin on their setup.  I normally run things in a cygwin bash shell, especially now that I have 32 bit and 64 bit environments on the same PC.  I do have batch files to add the cygwin bin path, for either 32 or 64 bit, if I need them.
>
> Jim.

Hi Jim

Thanks for your answer.
The last time I compiled JTR in Cygwin was +6 years ago, so don't
remember the details, but I am pretty sure that the cygwin.dll and other
files were put in the /run folder once completed.....

I added "c:\cygwin64\bin" do the windows PATH, but still getting message
about the missing cygcrypto dll...

-.-PhanTom-.-

c:\cygwin64\bin