Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 02:23:11 +0100
From: Lukas Odzioba <lukas.odzioba@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: pbkdf2-hmac-sha512 on GPU

> Thanks, I'm able to build it successfully now with line number 68 looking
> like this.
> /* #define DEBUG */

Ok.

> my /path/to/hash.txt is formatted like this:
> grub.pbkdf2.sha512.iterations.salt.hash (where 'iterations' is ~40,000)
>
> However, when I run:
> ./john --format=grub-opencl /path/to/hash.txt
> It gives me this error:
> Assertion failed: (strlen(c) == 128), function binary, file
> opencl_pbkdf2_hmac_sha512_fmt.c, line 184.
> Abort trap: 6
>
> From what I can understand above, 'strlen' looks like 'string length',
> perhaps this is the fault as my salt+hash is quite long at 320 characters?
> Just a guess.

Yes that's the issue. That's why this format is called grub-opencl
instead of more generic pbkdf2-sha512-opencl.
If you can tell me exact lengths of your hash and salt I'll see what I
can do with it.

> When I run it against one of the tests I found in the file
> opencl_pbkdf2_hmac_sha512_fmt.c (the first one of line 63) and copy it to a
> .txt file, I get this:
> Loaded 1 password hash (grub-opencl, grub-opencl [PBKDF2-SHA512])
> Self test failed (get_hash[0](0))
>
> When I try a test:
> ./john --format=grub-opencl --test
> I get:
> Benchmarking: grub-opencl, grub-opencl [PBKDF2-SHA512]... FAILED
> (get_hash[0](0))

That's a bit more problematic, what gpu do you have?
Can you try to test it under some linux distribution?

Lukas