Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 16:29:26 -0700
From: Jeff Keller <jakeller@...r.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Reward for saving my 15 years of photos

Just to throw this out there in case someone has an idea: at some point,
my entire Aperture database was on my NAS drive. That was too slow, so I
moved it back to my local hard drive (which was wiped when I sold the
old computer), which is how it ended up getting into the encrypted
backup.

What I'm wondering is that since the NAS drive is 3TB that *perhaps* the
aperture library could be recovered. I tried setting up some tools in
Ubuntu (via vmware) that can try to recover files, but I could never get
it to fully compile. Is anyone familiar with these EXT2FS recovery tools
(or have other suggestions)? This would sure be easier than trying to
break the encryption!

- Jeff

---
Jeff Keller