Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 20:19:52 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Need assistance with encrypted Time Machine sparsebundle

On 2014-02-21 09:08, magnum wrote:
> On 2014-02-21 09:03, Jeff Keller wrote:
>> On Feb 20, 2014, at 11:46 PM, magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com> wrote:
>>> Someone need to implement the missing pieces
>>> for Sparsebundle support. I vaguely recall it has been discussed
>>> somewhere. I'm trying to scramble some brains but I can't promise
>>> anything.
>>
>> Here’s where I found it discussed:
>>
>> https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/issues/359
>
> Yes, and this particular case is now
> https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/issues/511

Note that DMG brute-force is very slow so even with a working format you
are not guaranteed a successful crack. So use this time to establish
base words, possible patterns etc. that you might have used, if
applicable. If you know it's eg. a plain english word in lowercase, it
should be easy to crack. If it's a truly random 10 character password,
you are out of luck (unless it's digits only or something like that).

The good news is that the file created with dmg2john will contain no
sensitive information afaik, so you could publish it here and hope for
volunteers to help with global warming.

magnum