Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 21:58:29 -0800
From: Jeff Keller <jakeller@...r.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Need assistance with encrypted Time Machine sparsebundle

On Feb 20, 2014, at 11:39 AM, magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com> wrote:

> On 2014-02-20 19:46, Jeff Keller wrote:
>> On 02/20/2014 09:21, magnum wrote:
>>> JtR Pro can't crack a dmg afaik. You need to build from
>> bleeding-edge
>>> source available at GitHub.
>>>
>>> magnum
>>
>> Huh, from
>> reading
>> this:
>> http://blog.whitehatsec.com/cracking-aes-256-dmgs-and-epic-self-pwnage/
>>

>> I was under the impression that the "off the shelf" version of JtR
>> could do it. I did reach out to the guys mentioned in the article
>> (Stricture) but haven't heard back yet. This is sort of the digital
>> version of your house burning down! Hope someone can help out.
>
> Just download a snapshot tarball from https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/tarball/bleeding-jumbo and build it. To build you will need to have Xcode installed, I believe that's free from Appstore. Feel free to ask specific questions.
>
> magnum

Well, the good news is that I got it to compile. the bad news is that when I run dmg2john I get this error:

Jeffs-iMac:run jakeller$ ./dmg2john /Volumes/Time\ Machine/Jeff\'s\ 12-Core\ Mac\ Pro.sparsebundle
/Volumes/Time Machine/Jeff's 12-Core Mac Pro.sparsebundle is not a DMG file!

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks-
Jeff

---
Jeff Keller
Senior Writer, Digital Photography Review
www.dpreview.com